If you could look into the backyards in Berkeley, you’d see a lot of dilapidated decks. The truth is, few people who build decks have in-depth knowledge of the techniques, and their decks often crumble after a few years. Soto Bay Construction is different. From our connections to get top-quality wood and composite to our advanced knowledge of how to make a deck secure and protected from the environment, we know how to create a thing of beauty. Not only can you get any deck designs you’d like, your deck will last the test of time, be completely legal, and have all the bells and whistles you want. Work with us and you’ll get a professional deck designer on your team.
Whether you want a space that could earn a spot in the pages of Home & Garden, or you just want to make sure that your deck will last long enough to actually be worth the investment, you should work with us.
Better Materials Make Better Decks
Homeowners in Berkeley tend to take a lot of pride in their houses, with designs, decor and landscaping that pull inspiration from a wide variety of sources. We think you should have just as many options when it comes to your deck.
To build a deck you need strong deck framing. All of our decks are built on solid foundations with high-quality fasteners, pressure-treated lumber, smart joists, and all the safety and security that you would expect. But when it comes to aesthetic choices, like your specific deck board, that’s where things get interesting.
- Decking materials – Choose from natural wood decking boards, stained wood, pressure treated wood, composite decking materials, and more. Wood decks made with classic redwood and Brazilian Ipe wood fit comfortably with Berkeley’s aesthetics, but you can also go with honey tones and cedar tones.
- Railings and stairs – Even if your deck’s elevation isn’t very high, adding rails or stairs can add a touch of drama, while also making your deck safer for young ones. Choose from several different railing options, customer balusters end caps, post caps and much more.
- Stain and finish – sealing and staining your deck will help it better match your outdoor living space and keep it looking its best for years to come.
- Other features – From pergolas to built in lighting, speakers, stairs, deck railing, pergolas, and charging ports, there are so many ways to customize your new deck.
- Connections: Do you want your deck to connect to your pergola, working with your fencing, combine with a pre-existing porch or otherwise work with your current landscape? We can help with thoughtful designs and the right decking products to withstand certain conditions, like exposure to pool water.
Wood vs. Composite Decks
Choosing a wood deck material means you’ll receive a more natural look and feel, but it does have its drawbacks. Building a deck with wooden deck boards means you’ll have to reseal and restain every few years. Otherwise, your deck could discolor, splinter, and even lose structural integrity.
Composite deck materials like Trex and Fiberon are low maintenance in comparison, but that can also be a drawback. Like artificial lawn, some people think that building a deck out of composite material means that it looks a little too perfect, which can come across as unnatural.
The price difference can also vary greatly based on your choices, and market availability. That’s why the best way to choose the right decking material for your project is to speak with one of our deck designers.