ADU Builder & Deck Builder in Berkeley
High-quality deck construction and ADU construction in Berkeley, CA
Your home has indoor and outdoor space for you to enjoy. But do you need more? You can add an accessory dwelling unit, or ADU, to add more space within your home. Or make your green space more functional with a high-quality deck. At Soto Bay Construction, we’re well-versed in getting homeowners the space they need to add more value, beauty and function to their home. Trust us as your deck or ADU builder in Berkeley.
Why Build an ADU?
Building an ADU is much better than remodeling. In some ways, it is like building a second home, only smaller. Most ADUs have kitchens, bathrooms, separate bedrooms and other features that make them a challenging project. Why build an ADU at all? ADUs are popular in the neighborhood because they offer plenty of benefits, such as:
- Passive income: An ADU is an excellent space to allow you to both rent out part of your home and enjoy your own space in privacy. It can allow you to make passive income.
- Value-building: It is not uncommon for homeowners and real estate agents to build ADUs on a property before selling. Why not boost the value of your property as much as you can before you sell?
- Family: Instead of renting an ADU out, others decide to have family live with them. Multi-generational living has its benefits, whether or not you charge for the use of the space.
- Guest space: Those with large families or those who entertain frequently may need an ADU as guest space. It’s easier to have people overnight when they have all their own space, especially families. Note that you don’t have to build the ADU on the ground level. You can make it a separate structure too.
- Design choices: When you build an ADU, you get to make all of the design choices and have a space that is exactly the way that you want. That includes finishes and features you might have only seen on HGTV. It probably won’t be your own reason to build, but it sure is icing on the cake.
Quality Deck Design & Construction
If you could look into the backyards in Berkeley, you’d see a lot of dilapidated decks. The truth is, few people who build decks have in-depth knowledge of the techniques, and their decks often crumble after a few years. Soto Bay Construction is different. From our connections to get top-quality wood and composite to our advanced knowledge of how to make a deck secure and protected from the environment, we know how to create a thing of beauty. Not only can you get any deck designs you’d like, your deck will last the test of time, be completely legal, and have all the bells and whistles you want. Work with us and you’ll get a professional deck designer on your team.
Whether you want a space that could earn a spot in the pages of Home & Garden, or you just want to make sure that your deck will last long enough to actually be worth the investment, you should work with us.
Better Materials Make Better Decks
Homeowners in Berkeley tend to take a lot of pride in their houses, with designs, decor and landscaping that pull inspiration from a wide variety of sources. We think you should have just as many options when it comes to your deck.
To build a deck you need strong deck framing. All of our decks are built on solid foundations with high-quality fasteners, pressure-treated lumber, smart joists, and all the safety and security that you would expect. But when it comes to aesthetic choices, like your specific deck board, that’s where things get interesting.
- Decking materials – Choose from natural wood decking boards, stained wood, pressure treated wood, composite decking materials, and more. Wood decks made with classic redwood and Brazilian Ipe wood fit comfortably with Berkeley’s aesthetics, but you can also go with honey tones and cedar tones.
- Railings and stairs – Even if your deck’s elevation isn’t very high, adding rails or stairs can add a touch of drama, while also making your deck safer for young ones. Choose from several different railing options, customer balusters end caps, post caps and much more.
- Stain and finish – sealing and staining your deck will help it better match your outdoor living space and keep it looking its best for years to come.
- Other features – From pergolas to built in lighting, speakers, stairs, deck railing, pergolas, and charging ports, there are so many ways to customize your new deck.
- Connections: Do you want your deck to connect to your pergola, working with your fencing, combine with a pre-existing porch or otherwise work with your current landscape? We can help with thoughtful designs and the right decking products to withstand certain conditions, like exposure to pool water.
Wood vs. Composite Decks
Choosing a wood deck material means you’ll receive a more natural look and feel, but it does have its drawbacks. Building a deck with wooden deck boards means you’ll have to reseal and restain every few years. Otherwise, your deck could discolor, splinter, and even lose structural integrity.
Composite deck materials like Trex and Fiberon are low maintenance in comparison, but that can also be a drawback. Like artificial lawn, some people think that building a deck out of composite material means that it looks a little too perfect, which can come across as unnatural.
The price difference can also vary greatly based on your choices, and market availability. That’s why the best way to choose the right decking material for your project is to speak with one of our deck designers.
Why Choose Soto Bay Construction?
Whether you need a small ADU for your mother to live in or a huge multi-layered deck to make your backyard parties a blast, you should choose Soto Bay Construction. We offer:
- Dedication to project deadlines and your budget
- Professional support, including honest estimates
- Clear communication and thoughtful customer service
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Satisfaction guaranteed
If you need a deck or ADU builder in Berkeley, reach out to us today.
Let’s Get Started
We offer honest pricing with every estimate so you have no surprises. Our project deadlines are met in a timely fashion. We provide exceptional attention to detail in all of our designs and construction, whether decks or ADUs. We are highly responsive to customer service and we answer all of your questions. Let us help you achieve the project you desire. Give us a call today.