Deck and ADU Construction in Albany, CA
Albany, CA’s leading builder of decks and accessory dwelling units
When the sun is shining in Albany, everyone wants to take advantage of it. Enjoy your backyard more, and for longer into the cold season, with an elegant deck. We offer well-constructed decks and ADUs that can improve the inside and outside of your home. As experienced, professional builders, we care about the final quality of your deck, its legality, how long it will last, and how well it will enable the lifestyle you want to live. Learn more about working with us below.
Professional Deck Design and Installation
Why work with professionals who focus on deck design? We know more than a general contractor will, including about proper installation that will help you deck last for years with low maintenance, instead of becoming a dangerous eyesore in only a few years. In Albany, you have weather concerns that some contractors in California may not be used to dealing with—but we can ensure you deck can handle winter.
When you work with the team at Soto Bay Construction, you get true professionals who have real knowledge to pass on. We can help you design a deck that will look right for your home, be the right size for your intended purpose, be the perfect shape to match even an oddly shaped backyard, and overall be more personalized to suit your needs than decks from other companies.
Interesting Deck Options
The plain, square decks in some backyards might convince you that’s your only option. But, decks can be more interesting and add more value to your home too. There is lots of room to experiment with decks, including choosing unusual materials, building multiple levels, adding privacy features and incorporating the deck with a pool or a garden. Smartly designed decks can fulfil multiple needs, easily transitioning from a big pool party to an intimate evening with just you and your special someone.
Our process for designing a deck is to focus on your needs and wants to narrow down on deck basics, including size and shape. Then we work upwards, planning the details of your foundation, supports, wood or composite, and finishes. We might also add stairways, pergolas, lights, electrical outlets and other practical features.
What Makes a Good Deck Build?
When you choose a general contractor, you might have a deck that crumbles in a few years. Building a deck is harder than it looks. Our experts understand proper deck building practices and will make sure that the investment you make in your deck is worthwhile, and that it doesn’t become a safety hazard in a few years. We care about the elements of deck design that others gloss over, including:
- Screws and fasteners
- Posts and beams
- Concrete footing and anchors
- Top rails and handrails
- Deck railing, balusters and post caps
- Stringers and skirting
- Deck boards
The material you choose as your deck board matters but it is far from the only thing that determines the quality of your deck. We care to make sure you get a deck that will truly be an enjoyable asset for a long time to come.
How to Choose a Deck Material
What deck material is the right choice for your new deck? First, do not choose pressure-treated lumber or low-quality soft woods. These simply cannot make a deck that lasts, we don’t even consider them deck materials. Instead, have us guide you to a real wood or a composite wood product which will offer the right look, durability and level of maintenance for your needs. Which of those two should you choose? Here is some guidance:
- Composite decking: When you want to build a deck that is less maintenance and more durable, a composite like Trex is usually your best option. You don’t need to seal or stain composite, you don’t need to worry about how its color will fade and if it will clash with your fencing or your porch. And, you don’t need to worry about how moisture will impact it (as long as you have proper drainage). Keep in mind that if you can afford the highest quality woods, like Ipe or Redwood, these may offer better performance and less maintenance than composite.
- Real wood decking: If you want to build a deck that looks as good as it can, real wood is the right decking material for you. Quality woods will make your deck look warm and charming from joist to baluster. A quality deck builder can help you bring out the best in your choice of wood, with deck designs that show it off. Sealing and sometimes staining are necessary maintenance tasks for this material, but many homeowners feel that wood decks are worth it.
We want to help you choose a composite decking material or a real wood board that will enhance your landscaping and your outdoor living space. Reach out to us to discuss it.
We also provide ADU construction in Albany. ADUs are an excellent way to add more space to your home, but make it feel more self-contained than a simple home addition would. If you’re thinking of adding an ADU, you might use it for:
- Rentals: Add a passive income stream with a rental unit in your home.
- Hosting: If family or friends like to stay over, giving them their own space can make entertaining simpler.
- Aging in place: Older family members who need to stay with you for the long term can use their own purpose-built space to suit their needs.
- Increasing home value: ADUs can make your home more attractive to buyers.
Get Started on Your Dream Deck
Talk to us about our exceptional design, reasonable construction timelines, and emphasis on high quality installation. Choose us for ADU and deck construction in Albany, CA.