ADU Builder in Alameda, CA
Proudly Designing & Building ADUs and Decks in Alameda, CA
Alameda is a unique and vibrant city, where residents tend to avoid that cookie-cutter suburban living feeling and seek out personalized, high-quality spaces that reflect the lifestyle they truly want. If that resonates with you, then Soto Bay Construction is your ideal partner for ADU construction or a deck build. We don’t just settle for ordinary solutions for your space but create something visionary, inside and out. Discover how a deck or ADU from us can better your lifestyle and offer you other benefits as well.
Expert Deck Design & Construction
When you envisioned spending time in your yard, what did you imagine? Entertaining, reading next to a bubbling fountain, sitting in a favorite chair overlooking lush gardens? Most people find that a deck helps them enjoy their yard as they had imagined it. When you build a deck you add a surface to your yard that increases functionality and beauty, never mind the value of the property.
Building a deck may seem like a large undertaking, but it doesn’t have to be. When you choose us as your deck builder, you get a higher quality deck that will stay beautiful and safe for much longer than a deck that was thrown together by a general contractor. Get the benefits of working with us, including:
- Stability: We ensure that our decks have firm footing, strong framing, have correctly sized and spaced joists, and are square. Stable design should be standard in our industry, but unfortunately, it is not.
- Shapes: Do you want a curved or circular deck? A triangle or unusual shape to fit in your space precisely? Something connected to your porch? We can design it.
- Materials: Let us be your guides to truly high-quality decking materials that will stand the test of time and require less maintenance and repairs over the years. Choose from redwood, treated lumber, Trex, or a composite deck material.
- Safety: Stairs, a deck railings and other details are essential to ensure the deck is safe and functional.
- Custom Finishes: Choose from a wide variety of custom stains and finishes to perfect the look of your deck. The right stain and help your decking boards match other elements in your space or just look great.
- Additional Features: Add advanced deck features that enhance your space, like a live tree, recessed lighting, stairs, rails, pergola, or hidden electrical chargers.
Our team can work with a variety of materials to achieve the perfect deck design for your yard, including multiple types of natural and composite decking. Enhance your backyard landscaping with an attractive and functional deck that will transform how you use your yard. All of our deck building uses high quality pressure-treated joists and deep foundations for superior longevity.
Comparing Deck Materials
The first step in how to build a deck is usually to choose the right decking material. That isn’t just the material for the deck board but also materials for the railing, joists, deck framing and other elements. Often these elements match, and when they don’t, staining can make them appear to (or not.) It all depends on the look you want for your outdoor living space and the durability and longevity you need. Potential deck materials include:
- Pressure treated lumber: Also called pressure-treated lumber, we generally don’t recommend this material. This material has too short of a lifespan for most homeowners’ comfort. It may quickly develop splinters, dents and even drainage issues.
- Wooden decking: A real wood deck has charm that other materials struggle to recreate. Wood decks require regular maintenance, unless you choose the densest woods.
- Composite: Composite materials offer lower maintenance than real wood and newer products achieve a great look.
Which materials should you use for deck screws? Which sealer is the right choice for your wood? Our experts can guide you.
ADU Design & Construction
Accessory dwelling units (ADUs) are another, even more impactful, way to make your home better. The best ADU designs fulfill your specific needs and wants to best maximize the unique space that you own and meet your goals for your home. Unlike buying a home with an ADU, when you’re building your own, you get the advantage of having the exact layout, features and finishes that you want. But to guide your choices, you need to know what you want from your ADU. Here are some possibilities:
- Add a rental space: Earn passive income on your property by renting out your ADU.
- House family: Add a space where family members can live for the short or long-term. It can make entertaining easier too.
- Add a home office: A fully-equipped office space can make your business better.
- Increase home value: ADUs can give huge boosts to home value if they are designed with that goal in mind.
- Get a unique space: Need an ADU for your own, unique purpose? We can help make your dream a reality.
Alameda’s ADU Restrictions
ADU restrictions are still changing fast, so it can help to have an expert ADU builder on your side to help you through the process. In Alameda, ADUs cannot be subdivided or used as a short term rental, but there are no lot size requirements. ADU size restrictions are also a little more lax in the city of Alameda: they can be sized up to the lesser of 50% of the primary dwelling unit or 1,200 sqft.
Why Choose Us?
Whether you need a new deck for your summer parties or an ADU to start building some passive income, the team at Soto Bay Construction can help. When you choose us you’ll work with a skilled deck designer or ADU designer who cares about every detail of your project from fasteners and beams to siding and post caps. We offer:
- Dedication to your budget and your deadline
- Professional guidance including honest estimates
- Exceptional customer service
- Satisfaction guaranteed
Let’s Get Started
We offer honest pricing with every estimate so you have no surprises. Our project deadlines are met in a timely fashion. We provide exceptional attention to detail in all of our designs and construction, whether decks or ADUs. We are highly responsive to customer service and we answer all of your questions. Let us help you achieve the project you desire. Give us a call today.